A revision operation is used to correct prior weight loss surgery that has failed or is failing. Even if you maintain good habits and you made use of a qualified surgeon and reputable surgical center, there is always a possibility that you need a revision weight loss procedure. Revision operations often convert the failed procedure to one that is better suited for the patient. Through state-of-the-art technology, AMISurgery now offers more options than ever to help you lose the weight and regain control. The options available include:
- The ROSE procedure (Restorative Obesity Surgery Endolumenal)
(revision of a gastric bypass or vertical band gastroplasty without incisions)
- Stomaphyx (revision of a gastric bypass without incisions)
- Gastric bypass revision using minimally invasive techniques
- Revision/removal of a Lap-Band/Realize band or conversion to another weight loss procedure
- Laparoscopic revision of other weight loss procedures (ex. Vertical band gastroplasty)
Some common situations that may require a revisional weight loss operation may include the following:
- Complications from a previous open gastric bypass procedure
- Failure to lose adequate weight after a gastric banding
- Inadequate weight loss or regain of weight after gastric bypass surgery
- Inadequate weight loss or regaining weight after vertical band gastroplasty
Most revision weight loss surgeries can be done as laparoscopic procedures. Occasionally these procedures do require an open and more invasive procedure to correct the problem and reinvigorate weight loss in the patient. Most revision procedures are covered by most medical insurance.
Surgery times vary depending on the procedure but most range from 1-3 hours. Some procedures may require a 1-2 day hospital stay. Recovery times vary, but patients generally return to work and normal activities within 1-2 weeks. Because the surgery uses laparoscopic techniques, patients experience less post-operative pain, recover quicker, and return to normal activities sooner in comparison to other forms of surgery.
After surgery our patients are placed on a specific diet which enables them to lose weight in a safe manner without compromising the healing process. Weight loss can be noticed in a matter of weeks or even days.
Rest assured that our team is committed to helping you achieving lifelong results. We are prepared to work with you before, during, and after your procedure to ensure that the weight comes off and stays off.